Follow our spelt recipe calendar featuring our favourite seasonal recipes - easy to follow, inspirational and full of the goodness that Sharpham Park spelt delivers.
click here for spelt recipes
BOWEL CANCER UK
Find out here about how Bowel Cancer UK and Sharpham Park are partnering to spread the message of the importance of a high fibre diet in the fight against bowel cancer.
click here to find out more
our shop and cafe at
Kilver Court in the heart of Somerset is the setting for the Sharpham Park shop and cafe, with the best kept secret garden in the county. Click here to read more
YOUR SPELT RECIPES
Help raise awareness of Bowel Cancer and submit your High Fibre Spelt Recipe. The winner will be featured alongside the likes of Sophie Dahl and the Hairy Bikers! ENTER HERE
THE HISTORY OF SHARPHAM PARK
The first known reference to Sharpham Park is a grant by King Edwig to the Thegn (Minister) Aethelwold in 957. In 1191 the park was given to the Abbots of Glastonbury by King John I who remained in possession of it until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539.
For the next 100 years it was the subject of a continual battle for control between rival noblemen. From 1539 to 1707 the Park was owned by The Duke of Somerset, Sir Edward Seymour, brother of Queen Jane third wife of Henry VIII; Sir Edward Dwyer, the Elizabethan poet; the Thynne family of Longleat; the renowned legal family of Sir Henry Gould and the famous novelist Henry Fielding, author of Tom Jones, who was born there in 1707.
In the late 1700’s the Gould family failed to produce a male heir and the estate passed to the Earl of Cavan through marriage. He in turn rented it to a succession of gentleman farmers, including the irascible Thomas Hawkins, a great palaeontologist who discovered the first fossils of the ichthyosaurus.
In the 1830’s large parts of the original mansion, including the chapel, were pulled down. By 1890 it was regarded as one of the best farms in Somerset, employing over 40 farm labourers, with a focus on wheat, dairy, beef cattle and sheep.