Fruity Breakfast Bars
Recipe taken from the new SPELT COOKBOOK by Roger SaulSpelt: Meals, Cakes, Cookies & Breads from the Good Grain
Order your SPELT cookbook by Roger Saul >
MAKES: 10 bars
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g/5½oz/1½ cups spelt porridge flakes
- 2 tbsp wholegrain spelt flour
- 80g/2¾oz/½ cup mixed seeds,such as pumpkin or sesame
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g/3½oz/heaped ¾ cup chopped dried fruit, such as pittedand chopped apricots, dates, cranberries
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 15 x 20cm/6 x 8in baking tin and line with baking paper, if you like, making sure it hangs a little over the edges, then lightly grease the paper.
Mix together the spelt porridge flakes, flour, seeds, cinnamon and chopped fruit in a large bowl. Melt the butter and molasses in a small saucepan over a low heat. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients with the honey and vanilla and mix together well. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and, using a potato masher, press it evenly into the tin.
Bake for 20 minutes until the mixture is golden in colour. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then remove and cut into 10 bars. Store in an airtight container.
Extracted from Spelt by Roger Saul © Roger Saul 2015
Published by Nourish Books, London.
Commissioned photography by Lara Holmes & Neil White
Don't forget to buy your Sharpham Park ingredients :
< Back to all Recipes