Plum & Frangipane Cake
Recipe taken from the new SPELT COOKBOOK by Roger SaulSpelt: Meals, Cakes, Cookies & Breads from the Good Grain
Order your SPELT cookbook by Roger Saul >
MAKES 20cm/8in cake
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
- 150g/5½oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 125g/5½oz/1 cup white spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150g/5½oz/ 2/3 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 125g/4½oz/1¼ cups ground almonds
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 8 summer plums, such as Victoria or Opal, halved and pitted
- a little icing sugar, sifted,for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 20cm/8in round springform cake tin and dust with a little spelt flour.
Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat again. Add the eggs one at a time, including a spoonful of the flour with each egg to prevent the mixture from splitting.
Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl, then use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold the ingredients together so that the mixture is evenly blended. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and gently insert each plum half, cut-side down, around the cake, arranging them either in concentric circles or in whatever pattern you prefer.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake is golden brown on top anda skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Extracted from Spelt by Roger Saul © Roger Saul 2015
Published by Nourish Books, London.
Commissioned photography by Lara Holmes & Neil White
Don't forget to buy your Sharpham Park ingredients :
< Back to all Recipes